Position Job Title: Health and Wellness Professional
PTE: This is a part-time, remote position that requires flexibility for travel throughout the year. On average, this position works 20 hours a week.
Reports to: Donna Collins, RSCJ (Regional Team Liaison).
FLSA Class: Exempt
Organizational Mission: Society of the Sacred Heart, United States – Canada, is part of an international congregation of Catholic women religious. Founded in 1800 by Saint Madeleine Sophie Barat, the Society of the Sacred Heart has more than 1,800 members in provinces in 41 countries. Members of the Society are known as Religious of the Sacred Heart (RSCJ) and participate in the mission of the Catholic Church through the service of education.
RSCJ in the United States – Canada (USC) Province are teachers, administrators, lawyers, nurses, doctors, artists, writers, therapists, pastoral counselors, spiritual directors, and social workers. Members can be found in a wide variety of ministries and settings, including universities, secondary and elementary schools and popular education centers; in hospitals, shelters, parishes, retreat centers, and prisons. You may wish to visit our national website at www.RSCJ.org or our International website at www.rscjinternational.org.
Summary of Position:
The Health and Wellness professional has one primary area of responsibility, the oversight of person-centered quality care for the approximately 45 Religious of the Sacred Heart living in the eastern region of the United States (New York, Washington, D.C. and Massachusetts).
- Provide assistance, support and resources to individual Sisters and the USC provincial team in meeting each Sister’s wellness, health and safety needs.
- Schedule and conduct wellness profiles for all Sisters living in local communities, visiting in person a minimum of twice annually for those in the Boston, New York City area, and Washington, D.C. areas and visiting the Sisters in Albany, New York, at least four times a year and be available to give advice on health issues as needed via Zoom or other teleconference methods.
- Based on the profile and recommendations, develop both short- and long-term plans with the Sister and the provincial team for addressing support, health, living situation and/or care needs as needed and appropriate.
- Provide education, resource linkage, and ongoing support to Sisters as appropriate in keeping with provincial Health and Wellness objectives.
- Encourage and facilitate the utilization of local resources such as home health care, support groups, etc. in collaboration with local RSCJ to meet the needs of the Sister within her own community setting whenever possible.
- Coordinate admission and discharge of individual Sisters to the next level of care in collaboration with the local community and the regional team liaison.
- Keep appropriate health records.
- Communicate with the provincial team as needed.
- Be available to assist those Sisters who are seeking assistance prior to or after surgery.
- Accompany elderly Sisters who need assistance when moving to a care facilities.
- Participate in the monthly meeting of the Health and Wellness committee.
- Coordinate with the other two regional health professionals and help to develop appropriate protocols.
- Occasionally write an article for the website or province publications.
Essential Administrative Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Medical Health benefits person in the Finance Office to understand finance and reimbursements at the U.S., state and Federal levels.
- Develop and supervise a cost-effective plan to purchase and maintain supplies and equipment as appropriate.
- Monitor, manage and maintain accountability for departmental budget.
- Inform the provincial team of any resident pastoral care needs.
- Develop, maintain and update written policies and procedures governing day-to-day functions of the Care Department as appropriate.
- Undertake other duties as required.
Certifications, Licenses, Other Requirements.
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program, with current State RN License.
- Current BCLS/AED/First Aid Certification
- At least five years nursing experience, including experience in home health, assisted living or long-term care.
- Minimum of 2 years nurse management experience, including hiring, coaching, performance management scheduling and daily operations supervision as needed.
- Clinic experience working with older adults with chronic diseases and/or memory challenges.
- A clear understanding and appreciation for the mission of the Society of the Sacred Heart.
- Ability to live by Catholic Social Teaching.
- Professional and personal passion for elder care.
- Ability to handle confidential material and situations with discretion, integrity and sensitivity while balancing the community’s desire for openness and transparency.
- Experienced in budgeting and financial management oversight.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the aging process.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Understanding of the medical, psychological and social needs of the elderly.
- High degree of interpersonal relational skills and capability of relating to a variety of people and personalities.
- Considerable initiative, judgment and leadership skills.
- Excellent analytical, organizational skills and an ability to think creatively.
- Ability to build and maintain positive, collaborative relationships with colleagues and constituents.
- Commitment to diversity.
- Team-player with strong customer-service orientation, and a commitment to person-directed care.
- Possess valid state driver’s license with the intent of securing a driver’s license after employment as needed. Must have own vehicle.
- Ability to travel and work on weekends as needed.
- This position does require the candidate to be able to stand for lengthy periods of time, to walk for a period of time and to lift up to 30 pounds.
All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed by employer.
Please send cover letter (with salary expectations) and resume via email to email@example.com. No phone calls please.