Week 07 (May 3-May 9)
This Friday, the Cape May Community in San Diego, California, invites you to join in espacio, or prayer together. We invite the international Society to join us, as well.
Facebook Live at:
12 p.m. PDT
1 p.m. MDT
2 p.m. CDT
3 p.m. EDT
4 p.m. ADT
7 p.m. GMT
What is the significance of espacio?
Espacio quite literally means space. As a practice, espacio entails carving space from our schedule, our use of time and our consciousness in order to develop competency as one who can be silent, as one who desires to be in tune with Mystery. The daily practice of taking time, even as few as five minutes, in silence allows us to nurture our sensitivity to the Spirit dwelling within.
How does one begin?
Espacio is simple and practical. The first step is to decide that such space in one’s life is of value. Having made this decision, it is helpful to consider when and where such space is possible given the reality of life. Try and make the time and space consistent. Another important decision involves adopting certain practices to help yourself remain attentive during the silence. Some people do a simple breathing exercise; others pick a word that can be repeated quietly when distractions come in and out of our minds. Once these decisions have been made, begin.
- Breathe in and out quietly to become settled and calm.
- Remind yourself through a simple prayer your desire to open your heart to the Spirit dwelling within.
- Enjoy the five minutes or so of silence.
- When distractions appear, quietly say your word with the desire to return to the silence you seek.
- End with a prayer of gratitude and/or petition.
- Please keep in mind that espacio is intended to be a simple and helpful way of preparing our hearts and minds to receive the gift of intimate relationship with the divine.
Source: Sacred Heart Educators: An Orientation to Mission