SOPHIE BARAT HOUSE, founded in 1994, is located in the heart of Uptown New Orleans, a block from the St. Charles Avenue street-car line. Taking inspiration from our foundress, Saint Madeleine Sophie Barat, the staff seeks to be a conduit of God’s love for men and women. Inspired by the Constitutions of the Society of the Sacred Heart, the community takes to heart the need to create a climate which favors experience of God, sharing among ourselves and with others. In an atmosphere of peace, hospitality, and prayer, we offer opportunities to reflect (both singly and in groups) on our Christian lives. When you visit, you will find Religious of the Sacred Heart ready to help journey with you on your spiritual path as they carry out St. Madeleine Sophie Barat’s directive to be channels of Sacred Heart spirituality to adult men and women. Meet our spiritual directors.
- Available throughout the year
- Takes place in conversations with a faith companion
- Helps one grow in noticing and responding to the movement of God as experienced in prayer and in the events of daily life.
- Those coming for spiritual guidance regularly protect time for prayer and reflection.
- Combine presentations on aspects of the faith journey with quiet time and reverent sharing. We find that hearing others speak of the ways God is meeting them creates rapport as well as support for the journey.
- Facilitators: Sister Jane McKinlay and John Gniady
- Meets monthly, September – May
- Four women’s groups; one men’s group.
The women's groups meet at 10:00 a.m. on either:
3rd Wednesday (mothers of Academy of Sacred Heart students)
The men's group meets at 4:40 on the 3rd Wednesday of each month.
- $10 a session
- That prayer in which one rests in God through the quieting of one’s mind and heart.
- Praying in this way with others on the First Fridays is offered under the direction of Sister Jane McKinlay.
- October through June
- $10 monthly
- Payable to SOCIETY OF THE SACRED HEART, help support the ministry of Sophie Barat House.
- Monthly group events: $10.
- Days of Prayer: $30.
- Stipend for spiritual guidance is arranged with the guide.
- Larger offerings are acknowledged for tax purposes.
For more information, contact Sister Jane McKinlay: email@example.com.
Identification for photo above:
Front row: Sisters Shelley Lawrence, Jane McKinlay, Anne Byrne
Back row: John Gniady JD, Sisters Annice Callahan, Maureen Chicoine, Judy Vollbrecht, and Anne Sturges.