Associates of the Sacred Heart
Associates of the Sacred Heart are women and men who are attracted by and live the spirituality of the Society of the Sacred Heart. There is a profound sense of mutuality between Religious of the Sacred Heart (RSCJ) and Associates because our common mission is to discover and make known the love of the heart of Jesus. We give witness to the love of God expressed in Jesus, in humanity and in creation. This love calls us to collaborate in God’s transformation of our lives and the world around usLearn more
collaborate. educate. design. communicate.
CEDC is a nonprofit that provides affordable graphic design to community and social justice organizations. Committed to the work of education through the empowerment of people, CEDC emphasizes a strong sense of partnership in mission, a sensitivity to the diversity of experience, a willingness to engage in issues at depth, a collaborative style, and an attentiveness to communication strategy in the change process.
In September of 1984, the then United States Province of the Society of the Sacred Heart established the Center for Educational Design and Communication (CEDC) in Washington, DC. Sponsored by the Society of the Sacred Heart, CEDC’s purpose has always been clear — to serve the Society as well as nonprofits and other faith-based groups that are in the forefront of social justice and to open the doors of communication arts to organizations that might not otherwise afford such services.Learn more
Le Petit Musée and the Shrine of Saint John Berchmans
Le Petit Musée is a museum dedicated to the history of the Academy of the Sacred Heart in Grand Coteau, Louisiana. In 1821, Saint Philippine Duchesne sent Sisters Eugenie Audé and Mary Layton to Grand Coteau to establish a school for young girls. Beginning in an unfurnished house on land donated to the religious order by Mary Sentee Smith, the school opened in October with just five students. Through hardships, natural disasters, disease and civil war, the school has persevered, grown and flourished. The museum tells the story of the pioneering spirit of the founders and explores the early life at the Academy for the students, the religious and the enslaved persons without whom it would have been impossible for the school to exist.
The Shrine of Saint John Berchmans sits on the site of the 1866 miraculous cure of a Religious of the Sacred Heart. As novice Mary Wilson lay dying in an infirmary bed, the sisters offered a novena to Blessed John Berchmans. Mary Wilson’s testimony describes an apparition of Berchmans, followed by immediate relief from her pain and her subsequent recovery. Her miraculous cure led to the canonization of Saint John Berchmans in 1888. The infirmary, where this miracle occurred, is now the Shrine of Saint John Berchmans, a peaceful place of devotion and pilgrimage.
Both Le Petit Musée and the Shrine are located on the campus of the Academy in Grand Coteau.
Shrine of Saint Philippine Duchesne
The Shrine of Saint Philippine Duchesne in St. Charles, Missouri, is a lasting tribute to the French missionary Religious of the Sacred Heart, who brought formalized education and a zeal for sharing the love of God to the Missouri frontier in 1818.Learn more
Stuart Center for Mission
The Stuart Center for Mission, a sponsored ministry of the Society of the Sacred Heart, supports and furthers the educational mission of the Society by working with Religious of the Sacred Heart, collaborators and social justice groups to strategically:
- Respond to the educational and justice needs of our country and world
- Support the development of new projects and initiatives
- Strengthen technology at the service of mission
- Focus on youth and leadership
- Provide conference space for religious and social justice groups
Sacred Heart at the U.N.
The international Society of the Sacred Heart has been present at the United Nations as a non-governmental organization (NGO) since 2003, when we became associated with the United Nations Department of Public Information (DPI). In 2014, we were also granted consultative status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
Network of Sacred Heart Schools
The Network of Sacred Heart Schools has 25 member schoolsl that are independent but historically related and that share a commitment to the vision expressed more than 200 years ago by Saint Madeleine Sophie Barat, founder of the Society of the Sacred Heart.
Through its members, the Network serves students in grades pre-kindergarten to grade 12, faculty, staff and other members of its community. The Network provides services and programs, including: trustee education, student summer service opportunities, and national conferences and workshops for faculty and staff on educational and professional topics.Learn more
Associated Alumnae and Alumni of the Sacred Heart (AASH)
The Associated Alumnae and Alumni of the Sacred Heart (AASH) was created as a way to unite all children of the Sacred Heart in the United States and to further the work of the Society of the Sacred Heart. Celebrating 80 years in 2013, AASH is comprised of more than 51,000 women and men educated in Sacred Heart schools and divided among 45 member associations located in 26 states and British Columbia.Learn more
The Children of Mary Sodality
The Children of Mary Sodality, founded in the 1830s, was seen by Saint Madeleine Sophie Barat as an important outgrowth of the mission of the Society of the Sacred Heart. Its growth followed closely the establishment of academies and colleges of the Sacred Heart, enabling alumnae and friends to continue their religious formation as adults. Today, there are Sodality groups in several cities in the United States, which meet monthly, as well as for annual retreats or days of recollection. These foster the spiritual and apostolic lives of the members and those who join them. "That which is life-giving attracts."Learn more