Picture Saint Rose Philippione Duchesne seated with a map on her lap. If Philippine were here today, what would attract her, where would she place herself, and/or where would she yearn to serve?
A day of service will take place on September 15, 2018, as part of the celebration of the bicentennial of Philippine's arrival in the New World. On September 14, 1818, she opened the Academy of the Sacred Heart in St. Charles, Missouri, the first free school west of the Mississippi.
The service day will begin in Australia and New Zealand, then move across Asia, Europe, Africa and, finally, the Americas. This international service day will be a wave of grace across the world!
What will your group - your family, religious community, school, parish, social group - plan to do for Global Service Day? Take some time as a group to discern, explore, analyze, pray, reflect. And, then, decide.
Mark your calendar for this date - September 15, 2018. Many more details will be available, especially concerning how we want to share what everyone is planning to do!
Some overarching goals of this day include:
- Learning about a particular injustice
- Building community
- Learning more about and having pride in our International Network
- Perhaps developing a long-term relationship with a new service site
- The possibility of engaging in a Global Service Day on an annual basis
- Visibility for the mission of discovering and revealing God’s Love